5 Parramatta Square
City of Parramatta Council’s long-term vision for a flagship community, cultural and civic building in the Parramatta CBD is coming to life as construction of 5 Parramatta Square is well underway.
First look at 5 Parramatta Square
5 Parramatta Square is located within the heart of Parramatta’s historic civic precinct, which has been used as a key meeting place. The area has housed the nearby heritage-listed Town Hall since 1883, and was the previous home to Council and the former Parramatta Library.
Parramatta Square is one of the biggest urban regeneration projects Australia has ever seen and 5 Parramatta Square will be the beating heart of this revitalised CBD precinct.
Set for completion in April 2022, the six-storey building will feature:
- a world-class public library at the forefront of technology, offering an extensive book collection, digital resources, 24/7 book return facility, study areas, and a permanent home for a significantly enhanced City of Parramatta Library;
- a Discovery Centre and cultural heritage spaces, including interactive displays and exhibitions, an Aboriginal Keeping Place for local Indigenous objects, a Research Lab and professional services providing access to Council's cultural heritage collection, and cultural programs;
- a ground-floor foyer (the 'Urban Living Room') with concierge, visitor services, Council customer services and a cafe, as well as spaces for live performances and cultural activities;
- a multi-coloured digital facade with specially-curated creative content to light up Parramatta Square;
- community collaboration and creative spaces where the public can create, experiment, study, work, meet, exercise, play, and engage with Maker Space/STEAM programs; and
- the new City of Parramatta Council Chambers.